Friday, May 25, 2007

the urban machine

Well, after commuting on my Bridgestone 550 fixed conversion for a while I was pretty much hooked. The bike is one of my favorites. Not just because it is fixed, but because this is a really great frame! it is light, comfortable and handles amazing! better than many other bikes I've owned (and I've owned some really top-end road bikes!)

But, I decided I wanted to give it an even leaner and meaner urban look.

Step 1. Apply torch to braze ons and remove them from frame.
Step 2. Sand down pink finish.
Step 3. Apply black semi-gloss spray paint.

I was really worried about putting heat to the frame to remove the braze-ons. I don't know much about metallurgy and metal working, but I do know that too much heat is always bad and I didn't know how to tell if I was approaching "too much".
So, I started heating the shifter braze-ons and as soon as it started to get a little red and glowy near the seam, I grabbed it with the pliers and gave a little tug. *pop* off it came. Nice! The tubes don't seem any worse off after the heating.













Ok, it's ready for the paint!
Updates to follow...

Ha!! I just noticed something.
After I popped off the first shifter boss, I dropped it onto the tray on my workstand and went to work on the second shifter braze-on. A few seconds later, out of the corner of my eye, I see the first boss fall from the tool tray and hit the ground. "That was weird" I thought, because I hadn't bumped to stand or the tray. I didnt give it much though because I was busy with a flaming hot torch in my hand.
When I was cleaning up I realized that the scorching-hot braze on had melted its way right through the tool tray! The second one melted halfway through before cooling and embedding itself permanently in the plastic!

No comments: