Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Is this too dangerous?

Crap! It happened.
I started thinking about things.

Lately, I've read way too many stories about bicyclists killed on city streets and its got me a little scared.

Now, I firmly believe that most bicyle deaths happen to cyclists who were not being smart.
You know... No lights at night, unattentiveness, riding unpredictably and violation of traffic flow. (This DOES NOT mean it was the cyclists fault but, sadly, many of these fatalities are preventable)

Sometimes however, a good cyclist, a cyclist who was alert, riding defensively and doing everything right gets killed anyway.

Everyone has the internal dialogue that says "It won't happen to me". Its a survival mechanism thats millions of years old. It's the only way we can get out of bed in the morning and walk out into the world. "Sure there are big carnivores out there and they're gonna eat one of us... but not me. It won't happen to me"

Steve Irwin no doubt thought that same thing on the day he went swimming with the stingrays. And why shouldn't he think like that? He arguably had more experience dealing with dangerous animals than any other person on the planet.

I certainly have better bike handling skills than most mortals. I have years of experience riding a bicycle in traffic. I am physically fit and hyper alert.
It won't happen to me.

But then I start remembering all the close-calls I've had over the years, and how they could have turned out.

I have a wife I love very much, and we want to have children someday soon. I don't really want to leave this world for a very, very long time. Sure, I might be better, smarter and faster than every other cyclists out there but, drunk drivers never seem to pay attention to those fine traits and can ruin everything in a second.

Should I choose safer routes to work? Should I wear safety vests and cover every inch of my person with reflective material? Should I get rid of the fixed gear bike?

Should I take the bus and not ride at all?

No comments: