Wednesday, January 24, 2007

new blinkies


I was at the local bike shop tonight and I saw they had these tiny little blinkie lights, the Sigma Micro's.

I picked up the white one to keep in my messenger bag as an emergency front light.

Holy crap is this little sucker bright!
It certainly isnt as bright as my Princeton-Tec EOS, but on a dark country road a motorist will still see this blinkie from a mile away!

It has one terrible flaw though. Due to the way the top part of the light's lens is scooped out, the person riding the bicycle can also see the blinking LED. This was so distracting I wanted to turn it off after only 1 mile. I got home and put a small piece of black tape over the top part of the lens... that helped. Putting it under the bars might also help hide the blink from the rider. This design is great for a rear blinkie but, someone should have thought it through a little better on the front version.

Still, these little lights are so small and lightweight that they're worth the $12 even if you just carry them in your saddle bag in case you end up riding home in the dark when you weren't planning to.

No comments: