Thursday, January 18, 2007

dog stories

This happened a long, long time ago...

About 9 or 10 of us were out on an early sunday morning ride. The pace was pretty leisurely and we all talking while riding three abreast down the quiet country roads. Tim, one of the groups strongest riders, was in more of a 'training' mode than we were and he was cruising about 75 yards ahead of the rest of us.

Suddenly, from out of a backyard on the left, came running one of the biggest Rottweiller's on the planet. The dog was moving insanely fast and heading straight for Tim. Tim's head was down and he didn't look up or show any sign of alarm. He must have been mesmerized from watching his front wheel because he didn't know the dog was coming.

I stood up and started sprinting... I don't really know why. In a flash I was right on top of the dog, my front wheel almost hitting his back legs. The dog was so focused on Tim that it didn't know there were other cyclists behind him.
A few more strong pedal strokes and I starting passing the dog on it's right. I leaned down towards the animal and yelled at the top of my lungs.
The dog simultaneously dodged left, away from the terrible noise that just assaulted his right ear, and spun it's head to look in my direction. The animal lost it's footing, tripped and tumbled. With it's legs splayed out like a deer on ice the dog skidded to a stop in the dirt on the side of the road.

Behind me, the rest of the cyclists rode past the dog laughing and swearing at it while it just sat there looking very confused and frightened.
We had to fill Tim in on the story because he was oblivious to the whole thing. By the time he turned around after hearing me yell, he had missed everything.

Everyone chuckled for the rest of the ride and had fun making up new nicknames for me, like; "Jeff, the dog conquerer", "dogslayer" etc, etc...
Good times.

No comments: