Friday, January 19, 2007

fixed ride

A good friend of mine used to call me 'iconoclastic' because I was always bashing on anything popular or trendy. I feel that the more popular something is, the more you should be wary of it.

I guess I have officially lost the title of iconoclast now that I have built a fixed-gear bicycle.

In case you havent been paying attention to the bicycle world lately, fixed-gear bikes are all the rage with the urban hipster crowd. Apparently they have been led to think that fixed-gear bikes are cooler than regular bikes, and riding one gives you punk rock street cred.

So, what on earth would possess me to follow the crowd and build a fixed gear bicycle? Well, I have always loved the stripped down look of a track bike. I want the extra leg workout that a fixed gear will impose and, lastly, I like challenging myself to master things that are difficult. I like challenges.

I picked up this pink 1986 Bridgestone 550 for $100 a few months ago. It fits great and it's in almost new condition but it's been sitting in the basement collecting dust. Now it's a fixed gear!





No comments: