Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Recovering from broken rib

Its been 6 weeks since I got a broken rib in jiu jitsu. It still hurts, but I did get back to riding the bike last week. wow! have I gotten out of shape while waiting for the rib to heal!

Last night, while riding home in the dark (fully lighted and blinking like a Christmas tree, mind you), some old geezer yelled out the window of his Volvo "Get outta the road you fucking nut job!!!"
Nice.

I really care less and less about being courteous towards motorists. Despite doing everything in my power to be a visible, predictable, law-abiding bicycle commuter, I still have at least one near-death encounter every week because of some motorist doing something completely stupid, careless or aggressive (0r a combination of all three) towards me.

I don't think that Critical Mass is the answer... It's not going to enlighten any motorists. It only seems to piss them off more.
The only thing that is going to give folks a clue, is when gasoline goes to $22 a gallon and 80% of the population starts riding bikes. Only when they have been FORCED to ride a bike on the road with stupid, aggressive morons driving Hummers will they understand how it feels to be treated so callously.

No comments: